Typeland is an independent type design studio based in London. We offer retail fonts exclusively through our own website. We also develop custom fonts, and specialise in multi-script design and production.
Typeland offers flexible font licensing, customisation, and bespoke type design for a variety of uses across platforms. For any questions about our retail font library, custom projects, licensing options, or to inquire about a commission, please feel free to write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Typeland is led by Alessia Mazzarella and Vaibhav Singh. We like to take a no-nonsense view of typeface design. No matter what adjectives or narratives they are embellished with, typefaces are not going to change the world. In the age of endless bluster and unreflective outpourings, our work aims to extend small provocations of quietude, where it can. Our retail library simply offers typefaces that we enjoy crafting and using. No hyperbolic claims, no fluffy descriptions, no contrived process stories — just fonts for what they’re worth.
Alessia Mazzarella is an independent typeface designer with several years of experience in font engineering, font mastering, and quality assurance. She has previously worked as a senior type designer at Fontsmith and as senior font developer at The Northern Block, and has developed original typefaces for URW Asterisk and Google. She holds degrees in Typeface Design from the University of Reading, Graphic Design from Central Saint Martins, and Graphic & Media Design from Sapienza University of Rome.
Vaibhav Singh is an independent typographer and typeface designer. Pursuing a wide-ranging freelance practice over the last decade, he has worked as a graphic designer, book designer, and exhibition designer in Mumbai, Delhi, Panjim, Reading, and London. With an MA and PhD from the University of Reading, he specialises in designing typefaces for Indian scripts in addition to developing original Latin typefaces. Notable clients and collaborations include Adobe, Google, Monotype, Rosetta, TypeTogether, and URW Asterisk. He is also the editor and publisher of the independent journal Contextual Alternate.
We offer retail & custom fonts for original, memorable visual identities and typographic design. We work closely with our clients to understand their specific requirements and offer a range of typographic solutions: these include proprietary typefaces, tailored modifications of our retail fonts, as well as custom lettering, logotypes and refinements.
We specialise in designing fonts for global audiences. With our extensive experience designing for numerous scripts across the globe, we bring specialist knowledge to multi-script design, with culturally sensitive, contextually appropriate solutions. Please feel free to get in touch with us to discuss your project.
Awards & recognition
Our work has received various awards and recognition over the years:
- Certificate of excellence for ‘Langar’ at the Tokyo TDC Annual Awards
- First place award for ‘Myriad Devanagari’ at the Granshan international type design competition
- First place award for ‘Eczar Devanagari’ at the Granshan international type design competition
- First place award for ‘Skolar Devanagari’ at the Granshan international type design competition
- First place award for ‘Prakashan’ at the Granshan international type design competition
- Finalist for ‘Xagonaut’ at the Morisawa international type design competition
- Featured in ‘A+ 100 years of Graphic Communication by women’. Central Saint Martins, London
- Invited exhibitor at ‘Facing the world: type design in global perspective’. Peterson Gallery, Stanford CA
- Invited exhibitor at ‘Typojanchi 2019: 6th International Typography Biennale’. Culture Station, Seoul
If you would like to collaborate or commission a project, or if you have questions regarding our work, please get in touch: email@example.com.